Freephone: 0800 1933 999
Mobile Freephone: 01623 397 200

Chat Online

Criminal Defence Blog

Hate Crime Solicitors

Steve Williams of Forrest Williams


Hate Crime Solicitors – How Can We Help?


What is a ‘hate crime’?


A hate crime is any incident which the victim (or any other person) thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their:


  • Race
  • Religion
  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability
  • Or because they are transgender


Anyone who has been called names, or bullied, or suffered any other actions which they believe may be due to one (or more) of these factors should report hate incidents to the police, even if they do not want the matter to be investigated.


Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but those that do will become hate crimes.


A common definition of hate crime has been agreed by The Association of Chief Police Officers and the CPS, as follows:-


“Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person’s race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.”


What types of hate crimes are there?


There are different types of hate crimes:


  • Race and religious
  • Homophobic and transphobic
  • Disability
  • Crimes against older people


What should I do if I believe I am a victim of hate crime?


You should report what has happened to the police, who should treat the matter very seriously if they believe a hate crime has been/is being committed.


In an emergency situation, you should call 999 and ask for the police.


In a non-emergency situation, you can attend a police station in person, call the non-emergency number for your local police station, or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you want to remain anonymous.



Can I take out a private prosecution against a person who has been victimising me?


Yes, this is an option where the police and the CPS do not bring charges against the other party. We could assist you with this.


If you would like to discuss a private prosecution with us, please call Forrest Williams Legal Ltd on 01623 397200.



Forrest Williams TV